Colorful, fresh and delicious, beets are also an excellent food for health. Here is the recipe for red beets with hazelnuts.
Preparation: 10 to 15 min
Ingredients for 4 persons :
- 2 beautiful beets cooked reds
- 1 C. to s. wine vinegar
- 1 C. to c. mustard
- 2 tbsp. hazelnut oil
- 1 C. neutral oil (grape seed, sunflower or peanut)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 2 tbsp. convex shelled hazelnuts
Red beets with hazelnuts recipe
- Peel the beets then cut them into small cubes (or sticks).
- Prepare the sauce at the bottom of the salad bowl by successively adding the vinegar, salt, pepper, mustard and finally the oils. Mix well then season the beets.
- Crush the hazelnuts in a mortar with a pestle (if not, place the hazelnuts in a plastic bag wrapped in a tea towel then strike - not too hard so as not to reduce them to powder - with a small mallet or press firmly on them with the back of 'a wooden spoon). Brown them for a few moments in a frying pan without fat.
- Sprinkle the beetroot salad with still hot hazelnuts: tasty hot-cold and crunchy-soft contrasts guaranteed!
Preparation option: use raw beets.
There are raw beets on the market which, once peeled and grated, can be tasted like cooked, with a spicy sauce.
Warning: during the preparation, to avoid staining your hands of rose with the beet juice, use thin latex gloves. That said, two or three successive hand washes are enough to overcome this small inconvenience.
Photo credit: © Philippe Dufour