We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Very complete but also delicious, this recipe for couscous of fonio with shrimps is also easy and quick to make.
Ingredients for 4 persons :
- 2 glasses of whole fonio (approximately 250g)
- 500 g peeled shrimp
- 8 dried apricots (or fresh)
- 1 courgette
- 50 g of butter 1/2 salt
- 1 onion
- 1/2 tsp. of 4 spice blend
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- Salt, coarse salt
Fonio couscous with shrimps
- Rinse the fonio with clean water.
- In a saucepan, pour 5 glasses of water, salt with coarse salt. Bring to a boil then add 2 glasses of fonio. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Off the heat, cover and let swell for 3 minutes. Drain then set aside.
- Peel the onion and then mince it.
- Wash the courgette, grate it with the skin.
- Cut the apricots in half, pit them if they are fresh.
- In a frying pan, cook the vegetables for 5 minutes in 30 g of butter 1/2 sparkling salt. Add the apricots. Season with the 4 spice mixture and salt. Add the shrimp. Keep the preparation warm.
- Brown the fonio in 20 g of 1/2 salted butter. Season with turmeric. Add this mixture to the shrimp mixture.
For this recipe feel free to substitute the fonio with bulgur or quinoa.
Due to its African origin, fonio gives off an “earthy” odor when cooking that you will not find when tasting.
Fonio is a cereal of economic importance in some parts of West Africa. Once shelled, it goes into the preparation of many recipes such as couscous, porridge, dumpling, donuts, bread ... From a nutritional point of view, fonio provides as much protein as pasta or rice but a presence of amino acids (methionine and
cystine) more interesting. Fonio does not contain gluten which offers an alternative for people with allergies. To discover !!
Recipe: A. Beauvais, Photo: C. Herlédan