We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
The Japanese andromeda, or pieris Japonica, is a sumptuous shrub.
In summary, what you need to know:
Last name : Pieris Japonica
Family : Ericaceae
Type : Shrub
Height: 3 to 5 m
Exposure : Partial shade
Ground : Heathland
Foliage : Persistent -Flowering: Spring
We appreciate the spring flowering of the Pieris and its beautiful colored evergreen foliage.
Planting Pieris Japonica
The pieris Japonica is planted in fall or spring for plants purchased in containers.
- Planting in the fall is the best way to facilitate good rooting, but can also be planted until spring provided you water it well.
- Purchased in a container, you can still plant it in the spring, provided you provide more regular watering at the start.
Once in the ground, put a mulch of rather mineral origin at its foot so as not to alter the acidity of the soil.
Andromeda cutting from Japan:
The easiest and fastest technique to propagate your Japanese Andromeda is cuttings.
- Take the 15 cm cuttings at the end of summer on semi-hardwood (not yet hard)
- Remove the bottom leaves to keep only one or 2 pair (s) of leaves
- Optionally soak the base in cutting hormone powder
- Plant the cuttings in heather soil
- Place the cuttings in the light but without direct sunlight
- Keep the substrate slightly damp
- Protect cuttings from frost in winter
- Transplant the following spring
Pieris Japonica in pot
The pieris Japonica or Japanese andromeda is a shrub that is particularly suitable for container culture.
Thanks to its low development, about 1.5 m, and its evergreen foliage, it is ideal for decorating balconies and terraces and providing interest, in winter, spring, summer and fall.
- Make sure the pot is well drilled at the bottom to avoid standing water.
- Put a drainage bed with clay balls or pebbles to facilitate the flow of water to the bottom of the pot.
- Fill the pot with heather exclusively and plant your Japanese Andromeda.
- Mulch with pine bark, it keeps humidity in summer and it protects against the cold in winter
- Water regularly from spring to autumn, as soon as the soil is dry on the surface
To know about the pieris Japonica
Also called “Forest Flame” or “forest fire”, this bright red and green shrub will bring a particularly interesting color note to your hedges or beds.
Its flowers in the form of clusters range from white to red through pink.
They will give a very decorative note to your garden from the very beginning of spring.
For a bloom with purple-red flowers, choose the Valley Valentine variety, a stunning, bright and colorful andromeda.
This very beautiful evergreen foliage tinged with pink, white, then brilliant red in spring is an ideal shrub to decorate your garden but also your tubs and pots for your terrace.
Smart tip about the andromeda from Japan
It is recommended to water in dry weather to keep the soil cool.