The stew is a Provençal specialty that honors beef, Provence herbs and carrots.
Ingredients for 6 people:
- 1.5 kg of beef (chuck, nut lodge)
- 1.5 kg ofcarrots
- 1 liter of red wine
- 4 or 5shallots
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 branches of parsley
- 2 cloves
- 1 bouquet garni
- 10 cl of olive oil
- Salt pepper
The preparation of this dish is quite long because its success lies in the time of marinating and cooking. The pleasure is only greater.
Beef stew recipe
This recipe can be made the same morning but will be even better if it is prepared the night before and reheated just before serving.
For wine, preferably choose a wine from the south, rather full-bodied.
- Cut the meat into even-sized pieces of approximately 4 to 5 cm per side
- Peel and mince the onion
- Peel and cut the carrots into pieces
- Crush the garlic
- Put everything in a dish and pour in the red wine until the meat is completely covered
- Add the cloves, 1 carrot, pepper, parsley and bouquet garni
- Let marinate a few hours before cooking or even the day before
Once well marinated, the meat is ready to be cooked in a casserole dish, ideally cast iron
- Remove the meat from the marinade and drain
- Slice the shallots
- Heat the olive oil in the casserole dish
- Brown the shallots for 2 to 3 minutes
- Add the meat and brown each side for about 10 minutes
- Then pour the marinade and cover the casserole dish
- Leave the leather on low heat for at least 2 hours
- After 2 hours, add the carrots
- Leave leather for another 1 hour
Once cooked, you can serve the Provencal stew with steamed potatoes for a complete dish.
Provençal stew is even better the next day, when reheated ...
Enjoy your meal !
Photo credit T. Bryone - C. Herlédan