Here is the delicious recipe for frosted currants on a bed of light vanilla cream, a traditional recipe with a bed of jam.
Ingredients for 4 persons
The cherry compote:
- 150 g of Bonne Maman black cherry jam
- 2 star anise
- 2 gelatin sheets
- (About 10 × 2 small meringues)
- 4 egg whites
- 250 g of caster sugar
- 1 liter of milk
- 1 vanilla pod (or 1 bag of vanilla sugar)
- 100 to 120 g of sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 bunches of red currants / person
- 80 g caster sugar
- 1⁄2 bag of vanilla sugar
- 1 egg white
Preparation time : 45 minutes Cooking time : 2h
Recipe for frosted currants on a bed of light vanilla cream
The cherry compote:
In a saucepan, caramelize the Bonne Maman black cherry jam and star anise until obtaining a syrupy coulis.
- Soak the gelatin sheets in a bowl of cold water.
- Place the cherry jam in a bowl then add the gelatin leaves. Let cool in the microwave, then mix lightly. Place in the fridge for 20 to 30 minutes then mix again.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Add the sugar in small amounts while continuing to beat.
- Place the meringue in a pastry bag with a fluted nozzle.
- Pipe small meringues on a sheet of baking paper.
- Bake between 1h30 and 2 hours at 90 ° C to 100 ° C.
- Bake for 2 hours of cooking. At the end of this time, turn off the oven and let cool inside with the door ajar so that the meringues are finished drying.
- Cut the vanilla pod in half along its entire length.
- Boil the milk with the vanilla pod.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar in a bowl with a whisk. Slowly pour the boiling milk over the yolks while whisking.
- Finish cooking in a bain-marie at 82 ° C when the cream begins to thicken.
- Pour the cream into a dish. Let it cool well without covering it before putting it in the fridge.
To be done 2 hours in advance.
- Wash the currants without hulling them. Dip them in a beaten egg white and then in granulated sugar with the addition of vanilla sugar.
- Arrange them on a flat plate and put them in the fridge to serve very cold.
- Garnish the meringues with black cherry compote and place in the fridge.
- Serve with the custard.
- Set a few branches aside and place them on the edge of the plate to create a decoration that is both original and delicious.
Photo credit: Bonne Maman / F. Mantovani