Treat yourself with this incredible recipe of confit foie gras, cooked in salt and plums in vinegar.
Ingredients for 4 persons :
- 1 kg of plums (Quetsches)
- 500 g of caster sugar
- 50 cl of rice vinegar
- 1/2 stick of cinnamon
- 4 cloves
- 1 sheet of laurel
- 300 g raw duck foie gras
- 20 cl of milk
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 2 kg of coarse salt
To discover: all our foie gras-based recipes
Confit foie gras, plums in vinegar
For the pickled plums:
- Wash and dry the plums. Place them in a bowl with the cinnamon, cloves and bay leaf.
- Boil the vinegar with the sugar, pour the hot liquid over the plums. Cover and let macerate for 2 days at room temperature.
- The 3rd day: pour the maceration syrup obtained in a saucepan, bring it to the boil. Pour it over the plums. Cover and let macerate again for a day.
- The 4th day: transfer the contents of the salad bowl to a saucepan.
Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Gently remove the plums. Place them in jars. Let the syrup thicken before pouring it over the plums. Close tightly.
For the foie gras:
- Immerse the foie gras in the milk. Let it rest for 2 to 3 hours in the refrigerator. Take the liver out and expose it to room temperature 30 minutes before working it. Wipe it off.
- Place the foie gras on a cutting board. Separate the two lobes.
Extract the large central vein and its small branches by gently pulling them. Season it and shape it into a sausage shape.
- Unfold the compresses, wrap the liver in them and tie it up like a roast without tightening too much. Cover with coarse salt and let stand 8 hours in the refrigerator.
- Remove the liver from the refrigerator. Wipe it off to remove the excess coarse salt. Remove the compress and cut it into portions.
- Serve the foie gras accompanied by a few plums in vinegar.
The fact of soaking the foie gras in milk facilitates its denervation.
CELLAR SIDE: Cadillac
Recipe: T. Debéthune, Photo: C. Herlédan