The heart of Marie is a sumptuous perennial with elegant and colorful flowers.
In summary, what you need to know:
Last name : Dicentra spectabilis
Family : Papaveraceae
Type : Perennial
Height : 20 to 60 cm
Exposure : Partial shade
Ground : Ordinary, well drained
Flowering : May to August
Maintenance from planting to flowering is relatively easy and the decorative effect quite exceptional.
Plantation of the heart of Mary
Marie's heart is planted in the spring or in the fall for subjects bought in pots.
Prefer nevertheless a plantation in autumn to promote rooting before winter. If you plant in the spring, avoid periods of frost.
Once properly installed, the heart of Mary requires little care. It is therefore important to successfully plant.
- Mary's heart takes pleasure in the half shade and sheltered from cool winds
- Respect a 40 cm spacing between each foot
- Prefer a rich soil like potting soil and well drained
- Hold the fresh soil with mulching especially during summer, it is the guarantee of a prolonged flowering
- Water regularly in the following spring and summer the first year after planting
You can easily multiply your hearts of marriage by division of the tuft in autumn.
Maintenance of Mary's heart
Caring for Marie's heart is quite easy and shouldn't be a problem for you, even the novice gardener ...
- Cut back faded flowers as you go to stimulate the appearance of new flowers.
- Add fertilizer in the spring
- Water in case of drought or hot weather
- Protect Marie's heart from winter frosts.
To know about the heart of Mary
This magnificent bulbous perennial transports and inspires dreams just by evoking its name.
It is indeed on a stem 20 to 30 cm long that will develop very pretty pink hearts, red or white, 2 to 3 cm long.
The heart of Marie, or heart of Jeannette, is an ornamental plant par excellence and will also find its place in beds, borders or planters.
This plant will amaze you all summer long, in the garden or on your patio!
Finally, the Marie's heart is toxic and should be handled with gloves to avoid any risk of skin irritation.
Varieties of heart of Mary
Although most varieties of Heart of Mary offer pink flowers, we also have a heart of Mary with white flowers, the 'dicentra cucullaria' or 'dicentra formosa aurora'
Some interesting pink flowering varieties include, 'dicentra eximia', 'dicentra Fire Cracker'
For more pleasure, vary the varieties you will be enchanted by all their attractions.
Smart tip about the heart of Mary
From spring, straw the base of plants to prevent weed growth and water to evaporate.
To read also:
- Multiplication of perennials by division of the tuft