As tasty as it is gourmet, the old-fashioned veal blanquette is a traditional and delicious recipe.
Ingredients for 4 persons
- 800 g of veal shoulder (or collar, breast)
- ½ large onion
- ½ stalk of celery, 1 bouquet garni
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 carrot
- ½ leek
- 1 clove
- 2 liters of water (or white veal stock)
- 10 cl of heavy cream (30% fat)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Coarse salt, fine salt, freshly ground pepper
For garnish :
- 16 small onions
- 30 g semi-salted butter
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1 pinch of sugar
- 150 g button mushrooms, 1/2 lemon
Old-fashioned veal blanquette
- Fill a Dutch oven with cold water, blanch the meat for 5 minutes. Drain and cool under cold water.
- Peel and wash the onion and celery.
- Peel and degerm the garlic.
- Peel and wash the carrot.
- Remove the first leaves from the leek. Wash it.
- In a Dutch oven,
- Place the meat, add the onion studded with the cloves, carrot, leek, celery, garlic clove and bouquet garni.
- Pour in 2 liters of cold water, salt with coarse salt.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 1 hour 15 to 1:30 over low heat and covered.
- Filter the broth, reserve the meat.
- Meanwhile, prepare the garnish :
- Peel and wash the small onions.
- Glaze them white: in a sauté pan, place the small onions, pour water to half their height.
- Add 20 g of butter, 1 pinch of salt and sugar.
- Cover with a sheet of baking paper shaped into disks to make a fireplace in the center and cook over low heat until the liquid evaporates.
- Clean and mince the button mushrooms.
- Cook them in water for 15 minutes with the remaining butter, the squeezed lemon juice and a pinch of salt
(the mushrooms should remain slightly crunchy).
- For the sauce:
- In a saucepan, just melt the butter, add the flour.
- Mix and cook for a few minutes, stirring.
- Leave to cool and add 50 cl to 60 cl of the hot cooking broth of the blanquette.
- Mix and cook over moderate heat for about 10 minutes (until the sauce is creamy and smooth).
- Place the meat in the sauce, add the garnish. Heat gently while stirring.
- In a bowl, combine the cream and the egg yolk. Off the heat, pour this mixture into the casserole dish, mix and heat without boiling.
- Add the lemon juice and check the seasoning.
- Serve this old-fashioned veal blanquette piping hot, with risotto or rice pilaf. It is possible to put other varieties of mushrooms in the risotto (depending on the season chanterelles or chanterelles, or shihi také)
- For the sauce:
- 40 g semi-salted butter
- 40 g flour
- 50 to 60 cl cl of blanquette broth
- salt, freshly ground pepper
This recipe can be made with other white meats: rabbit, hen, lamb ...
The vegetables in the broth can be added to the blanquette.
Bleach : immerse for a few minutes in a liquid (start cold for citrus zest, bacon ... or boiling for green vegetables, for example) brought to the boil in order to soften or reduce the tanginess of an ingredient.
Bouquet garni : small tied bouquet generally made up of aromatic plants: thyme, bay leaf, parsley (for the most common). You can also add green leek, sage, rosemary, a clove of garlic or a stalk of celery. It is intended to flavor dishes, bases and sauces.
Slice : cut into thin slices.
Recipe: A. Beauvais, Photo: A. Roche