Onion soup is an essential and delicious gratin recipe, as easy as it is quick to make and very economical ...
Ingredients for 4 persons :
- 350 g ofonions yellow
- 25g butter
- 1 tbsp of flour
- 1 liter of water
- 4 thick slices of bread
- 125 g grated cheese (Emmental, Gruyère or Comté)
Gratinated onion soup recipe
- Start by peeling the onions
- Boil the water in a saucepan
- Chop the onions very finely
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven
- Add the onions then brown them over a covered heat until they are lightly candied (caramelized)
- Then add the flour to the onions and mix to distribute the flour evenly.
- Pour water over the onions and simmer 15-20 min without covering
- When the soup has reduced to about 1/4, turn off the heat
- Switch the oven to the grill position
- Toast the bread
- Once the bread is toasted, put it in the bottom of an ovenproof bowl (take 4 bowls or 4 deep soup plates)
- Pour the soup then the grated cheese on top
- Place the bowls 5-6 min under the oven grill
- Salt with fleur du sel, pepper
If you only have a large soup tureen, you can put the 4 slices of bread on the bottom walls, then the soup and finally the cheese before putting it under the grill.
Enjoy your meal !