The marnière mussel is the essential recipe for mussels and undoubtedly one of the best to taste.
Ingredients for 4 persons :
- 2 kg of mussels (500g per person)
- 1 big onion
- 1 branch of celery
- 20 cl of white wine
- 1 small bunch of parsley dish
- 1 large knob of butter
The marinière mussel is faithful to the taste of the mussel and is easy and quick to prepare.
Recipe for marinated mussels
The mussels, whatever the recipe, must be cleaned well so as not to leave any residue. Cleaning consists of
- Scratch them well and then remove the byssus, this greenish filament that the mussel uses to attach itself to rocks or their support.
- Immerse the mussels in cold water several times until the water remains clear
- Remove the mussels that are floating because they are the ones that are already dead
- Always remove the mussels from the water before emptying it
Preparation of the marinière sauce:
- Clean the celery stalk, remove the white part and keep a part of about 10 cm
- Cut the celery in small julienne
- Peel the onion
- Mince the onion
- Chop 3 to 4 branches of parsley
- Heat a little butter in a large pot
- Add the chopped onion and celery
- Let sweat for a few moments and add the white wine
- Cook for about 5 minutes, the onions should remain crunchy
- Add the mussels and cook for about 10 minutes
- Add the chopped parsley at the last moment
How do you know if the mussels are cooked?
The mussels are well done when they are all open and the flesh can be grabbed easily. Be careful, do not overcook either at the risk of losing flavor and firmness.
We like to accompany marinated mussels with fries but we can also enjoy them like that as an aperitif or as a starter.
Enjoy your meal !
Smart tip and mussels
Once the mussels are tasted, take a tablespoon to drink the delicious mussel juice.
© Naotake Murayama