Pumpkin is one of the great fall vegetables, with a flavorful flesh, and easy to grow.
En summary, what you need to know:
Last name : Cucurbita pepo
Family : Cucurbits
Height : 20 to 50 cm
Exposure : Sunny
Ground : Rich and well drained
Harvest : September to December
- To read also : benefits and virtues of pumpkin
From sowing to harvest, every action is important to have beautiful pumpkins.
Sowing and planting pumpkin
Pumpkin sowing can be done from March under shelter with a transplanting at May, or directly in place from the month of May.
When planting (or when sowing), leave a sufficient space of 1 m on each side to give the pumpkin room to develop.
- The pumpkin likes sunny situations
- It thrives in hot weather and does not tolerate frost
- The richer and more well-drained your soil, the better your pumpkin production will be.
- So don't hesitate to bring in decomposed manure or fertilizer as soon as it is placed in the ground.
Growing and caring for pumpkins
You can pinch the stems above the 3rd or 4th leaves to stimulate the development of your pumpkins.
- You will thus have a better production and a better harvest.
For'prevent the pumpkin from coming into contact with wet soil and that it ends up rotting, it is better to put a mulch or film between the fruit and the ground.
- Mulching also prevents the growth of weeds which is detrimental to the cultivation of pumpkins.
Harvest the pumpkin
To know when to harvest the pumpkin, you can pick the pumpkins as soon as the leaves wither. We mostly harvest them before the first frosts.
As a general rule, you should allow around 60 days for the appearance of flowers then 80 additional days for the growth of the pumpkin.
- This brings to 140 days, or nearly 5 months after sowing.
Pumpkins are harvested in the fall and can then be stored several months away from humidity and in a rather cool and dry place.
- It is important to harvest pumpkins before the first big frosts.
- It is best to store them in a cool, dry and ventilated place.
- You can finally freeze the pumpkin for several months
To know about the pumpkin
Native to North America, the pumpkin is part of the same family as squash where the pumpkin and comes in a wide variety of shape, color and size.
In common parlance, the term pumpkin is even used to describe the pumpkin which is also a squash.
The pumpkin is round in shape and of Orange color while its flesh is stringy. The pumpkin, He is more flattened and its color ranges from orange to green.
Rich in vitamin A, B and C, these fruits also have the advantage of being keep for a long time during winter, ideally at a temperature of around 10/12 °.
- To read : health benefits and virtues of pumpkin
The weight of a pumpkin normally reaches 5 kg but some pumpkins have reached several hundred kilos. The biggest in the world was weighed at 1190 kilos (record broken in 2016 in Belgium).