The pumpkin (VSucurbita pepo) belongs to the Cucurbitaceae family. It is a squash, with stringy yellow or orange flesh, of many shapes and colors, native to North America.
Its stems, hollow and hairy, bear very broad leaves, toothed and covered with coarse hairs.
- To read : how to grow pumpkins well
- To discover : all our pumpkin and squash recipes
- Tradition: Halloween, the origin of the grimacing pumpkin
Pumpkin and its health benefits
Imported from America in the 16th century, pumpkins were quickly discovered deworming properties and it confirmed its effectiveness in the 19th century in the treatment of tapeworm.
These same seeds were also considered to calm inflammation of digestive and urinary tract.
- Green pumpkin seeds have excellent properties diuretics. Since 1980, pumpkin seeds have been used against benign prostatic hyperplasia.
- They are also assigned anti-inflammatory properties and depurative as well as an action dewormer.
- The pumpkin pulp, diuretic and deconstipant, is often prescribed in the regimens offered to patients with intestines and kidneys, as well as in those of arthritic and rheumatic.
- After a diet, pumpkin pulp, extremely digest, is a strongly recommended solid food.
- The beta-carotene contained in the pumpkin, source of vitamin A for the organism, would also have aantioxidant effect. It could improve some functions of the immune system.
- The pumpkin is a source of phosphorus which plays an essential role in the formation and maintenance of healthy bones and teeth.
- The raw pulp has emollient virtues. Crushed, it constitutes a calming poultice against burns.
Growing pumpkin for its health benefits
- To flourish, pumpkins need a sunny exposure and hot, and a perfectly clear place. They should grow in rich, humus-rich, cool but well-drained soil.
- Do not hesitate to add manure to your land: pumpkins love it!
- Warning, in too wet soil, the plant would rot. And beware ofslugs and tosnails at the start of squash growth.
- Harvesting of squash is done early in the season.autumn and until the first frost. The fruit arrives at maturity when its foliage, a little yellowed, begins to wither and the peduncle is ready to come off.
- You will be able keep the whole pumpkin in a good space airy, at a constant temperature of around 15 ° C, for 6 months. Once cut out, the slices can be stored in cling film for a week in the refrigerator.
- Useless to try the pumpkin cultivation pot, this is totally unsuitable and you would not get any satisfactory results.
To read : all you need to know about pumpkin cultivation
The pumpkin in the kitchen and its benefits
Pumpkin is excellent insoups and purees. You can also taste it in compote, mixed with a few apples and flavored with cinnamon and vanilla.
- The seeds pumpkin, plain or grilled, added to your salad dressing, are known for their health benefits cardiovascular and appear to be beneficial in preventing certain cancers. The seeds should be packed under vacuum to keep all their freshness and their benefits.
20 kcal / 100 g. Pumpkin is one of the richest vegetables in provitamin A.