Here is a successful marriage between land and sea with this pumpkin soup recipe with smoked fish.
Ingredients for 4 persons :
- 800 g of pumpkin
- 300 g sweet potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 20 g semi-salted butter
- 50 cl of chicken broth
- 100 g smoked saithe
- 25 cl of liquid cream
- 2 pinches of Espelette pepper
- Fleur de sel, freshly ground pepper
Pumpkin soup with smoked fish
- Peel and cut the pumpkin and sweet potatoes into pieces.
- Peel, degerm and chop the garlic.
- In a Dutch oven, melt the butter, add the vegetables, chopped garlic and pour in the cold chicken broth. Season and cook for 30 minutes. Check doneness with the tip of a knife.
- Slice the fish, keep some for dressing.
- Mix the velouté with the smoked fish in the blinder. (Wait until it is lukewarm to avoid burning yourself)
- Pour the liquid cream.
- Check the seasoning. Sprinkle with chili and garnish with the minced fish, fleur de sel and pepper. Serve cold or hot.
The smoked saithe can be replaced with haddock, eel or smoked salmon.
Find out more about the pumpkin
A vegetable plant from South America, the pumpkin belongs to the Cucurbitaceae family. Widely cultivated in the south of France, it is harvested in the fall.
To choose it well, do not hesitate to weigh it and observe it: it must be heavy and firm, its bark must not show any stains or cracks.
Whole, the pumpkin can be stored for several weeks (even months!), In a cool, dry place. In the refrigerator, it will keep for a few days if opened. Raw (blanched) or cooked, it also tolerates freezing very well.
Recipe: A. Beauvais, Photo: F. Hamel