Here is the delicious “old fisherman” style fresh sardine rillettes recipe
Ingredients for 4 persons :
- 8 beautiful Royan sardines
- 150 g butter
- 1 shallot
- Guérande sea salt
- Espelette pepper
- 1 bunch of chives
- 1 glass of Entre Deux Mers dry white wine
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- 1 lemon
- Thyme, bay leaf
Old fisherman sardine rillettes
- Fillet and peel the sardines, set aside.
- Chop the shallot and the chives. Squeeze the lemon and collect the juice.
Cook the rillettes
- In a saucepan, melt the butter, add the shallot and sweat it
5 minutes without coloring. Add the sardines and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Add the bay leaf, lemon juice, thyme and dry white wine. Bring to a boil. Season with Guérande salt and Espelette pepper.
- Reduce and strap, adding the chives and crème fraîche.
When the rillettes have the consistency of softened butter, keep cool.
- Leave 15 minutes before tasting.
Serve with toast, pickles, cherries and pickled onions.
To "strap", do as a double boiler but with cold water and ice.
Recipe: V. Poussard, Photo: S. Thommeret