As a starter or as an aperitif, the crab and fennel cake will delight you thanks to the flavors and aromas it exudes.
Preparation : 25 min
Cooking : 1 h
Rest : 2 h
Ingredients for 4 persons :
- 1 fennel
- 135 g of butter (including 5 g for the mold)
- 100 g of meat crab fresh
- 1 branch of thyme
- 4 eggs
- 150 g flour
- 1 packet of dry yeast
- Salt, freshly ground pepper
Crab and fennel cake recipe
- Wash and steam the fennel (about 15 minutes depending on the appliance). Once cooked, mince it.
Preheat the oven to 180 ° C (th. 6).
- Butter a cake mold then line it with baking paper.
- Crumble the crab meat. Mix it with the fennel and the thyme leaves.
- To melt the butter.
In a salad bowl,
- Whisk the eggs with the flour and baking powder then pour in the melted butter.
- Add the crab, fennel and thyme, season and mix.
- Pour the appliance into the cake tin and bake for 45 minutes.
- Let cool (about 2 hours) before tasting.
Additional information about fennel
Drawing its origins in the Mediterranean basin, fennel was appreciated in turn by the Egyptians, Greeks and Romans who introduced it to the United Kingdom. He later crossed the Atlantic in Anglo-Saxon ships during colonization.
Consumed since the dawn of time, some peoples have used it for its medicinal virtues, others to cool off or flavor their dishes, and many have given it a strong symbolism shared between rituals, spells and mythology. Today this plant is especially widespread in northern Europe, the United Kingdom and the United States, but its stronghold remains undoubtedly Italy where it is the most cultivated and the most consumed.
Recipe: A. Beauvais
Photo: A. Beauvais - F. Hamel