Alstroemere or alstroemeria, also known as Peruvian Lily or Inca Lily is appreciated for its superb flowering.
In summary, what you need to know:
Last name : Alstroemeria
Family : Liliaceae
Type : Perennial
Height : 30 to 80 cm
Exposure : Sun, partial shade
Ground : Ordinary, rather rich
Flowering : June to September
Before you start growing Alstroemere, prefer to buy young plants that are already formed, bought in pots, and preferably in April or May.
Alstroemere in the ground:
It is recommended to plant the Alstroemere in spring although you can plant your Alstroemere in the fall when the mild winter climate permits.
Either way, always avoid periods of frost and / or high temperatures when planting.
- Push the roots well into the soil
- Cover with a mixture of potting soil and garden soil
- Water regularly
Alstroemère in pot:
A repotting in spring allows the plant to develop well.
- Choose a soil for flowering plants.
- Protect the pot in winter as the roots will suffer more from the cold.
This plant loves places lightly shaded or sunny, hot but not scorching.
- Whether in pot or in the ground, choose a light sun and a placesheltered from the wind.
Multiply the Alstroemeria:
In order to keep your Alstroemere as long as possible, proceed to the division of the tuft after flowering.
- Take care when handling the roots as they are fragile.
- The division of Alstroemere is best done in individuals at least 2 or 3 years old.
Maintenance of the Alstroemere
Once properly established, Alstroemere or alstromere requires little care and maintenance.
After planting, it is advisable to water regularly but not excessively so as not to flood the roots, which are quite fragile.
Then, each spring, add flower plant fertilizer to improve flowering.
Size of the Alstroemeria:
- Remove them withered flower stems As things progress.
- Cut back to the shortest when the foliage is wilted and not before.
In case of'quite cold winter, It would be better protect the foot of the plant with a mulch of fallen leaves.
Things to know about Alstroemere
The Alstroemere or Alstroemeria is a perennial flower of the family ofLiliaceae, or Alstroemeriaceae depending on the angle of their classification.
Its buds bloom into colorful, flaming flowers evoking feathers of ’birds of paradise.
Another reason to succumb to the charms of Alstroemeria? It symbolizes friendship.
Finally, it is commonly called Lis of the Incas or Peru for its geographical origin.
Among the main varieties:
- Alstroemeria aurea - Lily of the Incas
- Alstroemeria hybrid
- Alstroemère Indian Summer
- Alstroemeria ligtu var .Ligtu
- Alstroemeria pelegrina L.
- Alstroemeria psittacina Lehm.
- Alstroemeria pulchella L. f.
- Alstroemeria Summertime
In clump or cut flower, it is very decorative.
Tip about Alstroemere
Alstroemere's lifespan in bouquet and vase is among the longest of bouquet flowers.