We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Quercus ilex fait is a beautiful tree, appreciated for its attractive evergreen foliage.
In summary, what you need to know:
Last name : Quercus Ilex
Family : Fagaceae
Type : Evergreen tree
Height : 10 to 15 m
Exposure : Sunny
Ground : Well drained, rather chalky
Foliage : Persistent -Flowering : Spring - Harvest : Fall
- Also to discover:Quercus suber, the cork oak
Planting of Quercus ilex
The Quercus Ilex is ideally planted in the fall, before the first frosts. The best period is usually in the middle of November.
Purchased in a jar or container, we can also plant the Quercus Ilex at spring.
- Provide regular and consistent watering the 1st year after planting.
Quercus Ilex can take up a lot of space when it reaches its adult size, so don't plant it too close to your home.
- The Quercus Ilex needs sun to develop well.
- Quercus Ilex can be planted along the coast because it is not afraid of spray.
- Observe the instructions of planting and favor a well-drained soil.
The growth of Quercus Ilex is relatively slow at first but tends to accelerate when properly installed.
Its growth will also be accelerated if it is planted in the right conditions and watered regularly at the beginning.
- Do not hesitate to remove the flowers in spring and then the acorns which draw heavily from the reserves of Quercus Ilex.
Pruning and caring for Quercus ilex
The Quercus ilex is easy to maintain and will hardly require any care when properly installed.
Maintenance of Quercus Ilex:
It must be provided with the best planting conditions and regular watering the first year after planting.
Size of Quercus ilex:
The size of the quercus ilex is not essential. Indeed, Quercus ilex does not need to be pruned but it is advisable to remove the dead branches as and when there are any.
On the other hand, the Quercus Ilex does not fear the size either and can be cut in height as in width without difficulty.
The silhouette of the Quercus Ilex being particularly pretty, try to keep it during the size.
- The pruning period du Quercus Ilex takes place in end of winter or to autumn.
- Never prune during frost, even if frost is not to be expected a few days later.
- Do not prune Quercus Ilex in the summer when it is hot.
Diseases of Quercus ilex
Quercus ilex is quite resistant to diseases, insects and pests. It has a long lifespan of up to 1500 or even 2000 years.
- Oak processionary caterpillars: The treatment is difficult for large oaks. Also found in treatment for the caterpillar oak processionary
- The foliage is covered in white: This is surely thepowdery mildew
To know about the Quercus Ilex
The Quercus Ilex or Holm oak is a kind of Oak appreciated for its evergreen foliage, its pretty little leathery leaves, shiny and dark green on the top and whitish on the underside.
While Quercus Ilex is mainly found in the Mediterranean basin, its resistance to cold (around -15 °) means that it is also found a lot on the Atlantic coast.
Outside the Mediterranean region it will definitely need a sunny location.
Dominant element scrubland along with Aleppo pine and juniper, Quercus Ilex is also used for strengthening dunes along the Atlantic coast. Indeed, its powerful root system allows it to fetch water in depth and thus stabilize fragile soils such as sand dunes.
Note that in Corsica, the acorns of Quercus Ilex to feed pigs, which gives the local charcuterie a very particular taste and reputation.
Finally, Quercus Ilex is also used for truffle cultivation.
Smart tip about Quercus Ilex
The Quercus Ilex is the ideal tree to hide from a neighbor without climbing too high, but be careful, you will have to plant your tree more than 2 meters from the property line.
© lamax © ihervas