Mineral, clumping, silica or vegetable, litter remains the second most expensive item when you own a cat.
Here is some information to help you make the right choice.
Read also :
- All our articles dedicated to cats
4 types of cat litter
In France, we use33 liters of litter per year on average, for a budget between 5 and 20 euros per month. Four main families share the market for this very lucrative “little corner”.
The mineral litter is in the form of small white and clayey pebbles. She absorbs moisture and smells. Finally, it must be changed completely every week.
Avoid for cats with respiratory problems, because it gives off a lot of dust.
Observed price: less than one euro per liter.
The clumping mineral :
She is composed of very fine 100% natural clay.She traps your cat's urineforming solid patties very easy to remove.
To be changed every ten days, its price remains very affordable, less than ten euros for five liters.
Negative point, it sticks to the cat's pads.
Revolutionaries, the crystalsof this litter are microporous and dust free. They drainand suck liquids.
Although more expensive than its competitors, it lasts a long time (three weeks) and effectively limits odors. You just need to stir it regularly.
Observed price: between three and four euros per liter.
Plant litter is made up ofrecycled materialslike paper, corn or wood. Biodegradable, dust free and economical, it is very trendy. Negative point, it must be changed every three or four days, because it is moderately absorbent and does not retain odors. Observed price: less than one euro per liter.
We find all these litters in scented version(attractive for the home) but be careful not to attack your cat's delicate smell!
Correct placement of your cat's litter box
- It is recommended to place the litter box away from passage places on a non-slip support.
- If you have a dog, place the bin in heightor in a place where there will be no access, because this clever little one will eat your cat's droppings.
- Each cat in the house must have its own personal bac. Otherwise, it will get messy.
Litter box maintenance
- A cat is naturally clean. Its litter must be cleaned every day.
- Depending on the choice of litter, it should be completely changed on a regular basis. Use gloves (pregnant women in particular) and disinfect the litter box.
- The litter should be thrown in a separate bag in the non-recyclable bins.
Did you know ?
It is not recommended to put your cat's litter in your compost, as their stool contains worms. They can contaminate your soil and parasitize your garden auxiliaries such as the hedgehog.
Read also: cats and pregnancy, toxoplasmosis: the actions to adopt
The pH of bleach is close to that of your cat's urine. Put a few drops in the litter box to encourage him to come in.
To meditate :
“Time spent with a cat is never wasted. "