Walnut is a wonderful fruit tree, also very ornamental.
In summary, what you need to know:
Last name : Juglans regia
Family : Juglandaceae
Type: Tree fruit tree
Height : 15 to 25 m
Weather : Temperate or hot
Exposure : Sunny
Ground : Deep, ordinary, well drained
Foliage : Expired -Flowering: Spring -Harvest : Fall
Cultivation and maintenance, from planting to pruning, will improve your harvest and the growth of walnut.
Ideally, walnut is planted in autumn to promote rooting before the winter frosts.
It can also be planted in spring if it is purchased in a container or in summer outside of very hot periods.
- Preferably choose a well cleared place because it will reach a significant size in height, but especially in width.
- When planting, incorporate a good potting soil and also a organic amendment able to provide the tree with the nutrient requirements it needs.
- Mix everything together so that you have a homogeneous structure of about 1/3, 1/3, 1/3.
- Follow our tree planting advice
Walnut pruning and maintenance
Walnut does not like to be pruned because each pruned branch becomes an open door to many diseases, such as fungi and rot.
This action must therefore be limited to the strict minimum because it can damage the tree and affect the future harvest.
If you have to prune it because it is getting too big, do it at month of september and protect the wound with grafting putty or Norway tar.
- Pruning during the fall of the nuts is a good way to know the period.
- Then remove the dead wood.
- Cut back any branches that are growing inwards as long as their diameter does not exceed 3 cm.
- If the branches cross, eliminate in part.
- Remove suckers as they start to grow.
The nuts are harvested from the month of September and until the month of November depending on the region.
> Harvesting takes place when the walnut stain is slightly ajar (cracks)
> The ideal is to harvest them just before they fall
> We can also wait for them to fall which guarantees that the right time has come
Once picked, we can consume the fresh nuts within a few weeks maximum
We can also dry in the sun after removing the husk (green shell that surrounds the nut) which allows them to keep for 1 to 2 years without any problem.
- Place the nuts in a single layer and turn them regularly
- If the sun is inconspicuous, choose a ventilated and dry room
Most walnut trees produce a chemical called 'juglone' which can be toxic to other plants but also to some animals, especially dogs.
It is not recommended to take a nap under a walnut tree due to the release of this substance.
On the other hand, nothing contradicts the consumption of nuts which are perfectly edible!
To know about walnut
The walnut is at the same time a very beautiful tree, well balanced and whose flowering will color your garden In early spring.
Thanks to its pretty small kitten flowers that appear before the leaves, you will enjoy its very ornamental character.
There are later flowering species, recommended for areas further north, to prevent spring frosts from affecting flowering.
We call it Walnut the shell or flesh that surrounds the nut, it is of little interest except for its use as a pigment for oil painting.
We use the plain nuts, fresh or dried, or else turned into oil especially.
Smart tip about walnut
As mentioned above, the large size of walnut makes it necessary to plant it in a very open space.